Common questions about statements of special educational needs

Information for families in England and Wales

The school has told me there's no point in starting the  process for getting a statement for my child as the local authority isn't doing them any more.

The current special educational needs (SEN) system is still in force. Local authorities still have a legal duty to carry out an assessment for children who may require a statement. A child may need a statement if they are likely to need more special educational help than a mainstream school can normally provide.

My child has a statement. The local authority says I can't have the secondary school of my preference because it's full.

A child with a statement can be admitted to a maintained school even if it has reached its official limit. If this will cause a problem for the school, the local authority must give clear reasons why this is the case.