The statementing process (Wales)

Information for families in Wales

This section describes the system of support for children with special educational needs (SEN) in Wales.

It was also the system in England before September 2014. Families in England might find this section useful if their child still has a statement of special educational needs.

A statement stops when a child leaves school. Young people going to a further education college have a learning difficulty assessment to decide what support they will need. 

Additional information for families in England whose child still has a statement of SEN

If you're new to the SEN system in England then this system will not be relevant to you. Return to our education home page.

If you live in England and your child still has a statement of special educational needs, at some point they will be assessed for moving into the new SEN system that came into law in September 2014.

Find out more about moving from a statement to an EHC plan.

Find out more about the SEN reforms.

Information for families in Scotland and Northern Ireland

Although this information applies to England and Wales only, we also support Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. Give our helpline a call on 0808 808 3555 for information and advice on any aspect of raising a disabled child, or call your local contact. Find out our details in the In your area section.