Clinical negligence

If you believe your child has been injured due to substandard medical treatment, you can seek specialist advice. For example, a child may suffer injury because a healthcare professional:

  • Made a mistake when you were pregnant with your child, during labour, childbirth and/or immediately following your child's birth.
  • Failed to diagnose a condition, made the wrong diagnosis or delayed in making the correct diagnosis in your child.
  • Made a mistake during a medical procedure or operation on your child.
  • Gave your child the wrong drug.
  • Failed to warn you appropriately or at all about the risks of a particular treatment or procedure with regard to your child.

Claiming compensation for clinical negligence

If your child has been injured as a result of substandard medical treatment, he or she is entitled to make a compensation claim for the injuries and losses sustained as a result.

If the claim is successful, the compensation will help meet the costs of your child's past, current and future needs, such as specialist care and case management, treatment and therapies, specialist equipment, suitably adapted accommodation, assistive technology and so on.

Specialist solicitors will support you through the process of making a claim. They can also advise you on funding your child's claim, for example through Legal Aid or a "no win, no fee" agreement. 

To make a claim for compensation, a solicitor will need to obtain medical evidence to demonstrate that:

  1. The medical professionals who treated you or your child provided substandard treatment.
  2. That as a direct result of that substandard treatment, your child has suffered injury.


We are supported by the solicitors listed below, who specialise in clinical negligence cases and work with families who have disabled children. We are confident that they are reputable and that they care for families of disabled children.  

You can have a free, no obligation conversation with the firms below. They will listen to your situation and let you know whether or not your child might have a case. 

If they do, they will also let you know what the next steps might be and whether your child is eligible for Legal Aid to cover the costs.


Bolt Burdon Kemp (BBK) solicitors focus on providing specialist rehabilitation at the earliest possible opportunity, when it has the greatest opportunity to improve a child's outcome. They work closely with families, visiting them at home and at school. They specialise in winning compensation to enable children to have the best possible quality of life after their injury.


Irwin Mitchell solicitors have the largest dedicated medical negligence department in the UK and can offer legal aid for certain birth injury claims. They have a specialist in-house Public Law team who can assist with any associated education, health and social care issues. They work closely with rehabilitation providers and support organisations to help parents access ongoing support and rehabilitation, thereby achieving the best possible outcomes. 

Related information

You may also want to look into other options, such as using the NHS complaints procedure or complaining to your local Clinical Commissioning group.

Contact a Family cannot make legal recommendations and you must choose the right solicitor for you.