Education in Wales

This section describes the system of support for children with special educational needs (SEN) in Wales.

  • Your child should get more intensive help - called School Action and School Action Plus - if they are making little or no progress with the help normally available in class.
  • For children who need more help than a mainstream school can provide, the local authority carries out a statutory assessment.
  • This is the first step to getting a statement of special educational needs. This is a legal document  describing a child's SEN and the extra help they will get.
  • The statement must be reviewed annually.
  • There is an appeal process if a parent is not happy with a local authority decision about a statutory assessment or statement.

A statement stops when a child leaves school. Young people going to a further education college have a learning difficulty assessment to decide what support they will need. 

Additional information for families in England whose child still has a statement of SEN

If you're new to the SEN system in England then this system will not be relevant to you. Return to our education home page.

If you live in England and your child still has a statement of special educational needs, at some point they will be assessed for moving into the new SEN system that came into law in September 2014.

Find out more about moving from a statement to an EHC plan.

Find out more about the SEN reforms.

Information for families in Northern Ireland and Scotland

We also support Northern Ireland and Scotland. Give our helpline a call on 0808 808 3555 and we can provide information or signpost you to alternative sources of advice in those nations where appropriate. Find out our local office details in the In your area section.


< Back to Education & learning