Common queries on school transport

Information for families in England

My disabled child can't walk to school but the local authority says they won't help with transport as we only live 1.5 miles away from the school.

The local authority must make free transport arrangements for children who cannot walk to school because of mobility problems, special educational needs or a disability, even if the school is within statutory walking distance.

My local authority won't provide transport as I get a motability car and the local authority says I can drive my child to school.

The local authority must provide transport to the nearest suitable school for children who are eligible for transport. Receiving higher level disability living allowance is not one of the eligibility criteria. The local authority may discuss indvividual travel arrangements with you but they can't make this a criterion for transport.

Information for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

We also support Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. Give our helpline a call on 0808 808 3555 for information and advice on any aspect of raising a disabled child, or call your local contact. Find out our local office details in the In your area section.


< Back to Transport to school & college