Transport and getting around

Help with parking

You are eligible for the Blue Badge parking concession scheme if your child either:

  • receives the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) 
  • is aged two or above and has severe walking problems 
  • is under three and has a condition which means they either need to be accompanied by bulky equipment or kept near a vehicle at all times.

Disabled adults on Personal Independence Payments (PIP) also qualify for a Blue Badge if they score eight points or more under the PIP activity of 'moving around'.

In Scotland and Wales entitlement has also been extended to those adults who score 12 points or more in the PIP activity of 'planning and following a journey'.

To apply, visit the government Blue Badge website.

Help getting a car

The Motability Scheme helps disabled people hire a car or instead a scooter or powered wheelchair, and Scheme customers might qualify for a driving lessons grant.

You can join the Motability Scheme if your child is awarded the highest rate mobility component of DLA or the enhanced rate of the mobility component of PIP. Your child's award must have 12 months left to run.

Find out more by visiting the Mobility Scheme website.

Help with road tax

You can get a 100 per cent rebate on Vehicle Excise Duty if your child is awarded the DLA mobility component at the higher rate or PIP mobility component at the enhanced rate.

A 50 per cent rebate is made where someone qualifies for PIP mobility component at the standard rate.

For more details, call the DLA unit (0345 7123 456) or PIP unit (0800 917 2222).

Help with bus travel

All local authorities operate schemes allowing disabled people of any age to apply for a bus pass or voucher for free bus travel. In some areas an essential, named carer accompanying the disabled person is also entitled to free travel.

Contact your local authority for more details.

Disabled Person's Railcard

Buying this railcard entitles disabled people and a companion up to a third off most train fares. For further information visit the disabled person's railcard website.

Transport to school and college

Local authorities may be able to provide your child with free or partially subsidised transport to their school or college.

By law in England, local authorities have to make free transport arrangements for certain groups of eligible children aged between five and 16.

Local authorities must also have arrangements to support young people over 16 who need help to get to college because of a SEN or disability.

To find out more, including who is eligible, visit our transport page in our education section.

If you live elsewhere in the UK then please contact the helpline for further advice.   

Related information

< Back to Social Care

> Next to Play, leisure and recreation

Advice feedback