Moving into adulthood

As your child gets older, you might find that there are a number of emotional and practical things for you to think about. We have advice across our site to help you as your child moves into adulthood. 

Moving from Disability Living Allowance to Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a new benefit replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults aged 16-64. DLA will continue as a separate benefit for children aged under 16 years.

Children turning 16 who currently claim DLA will be asked to claim PIP after their 16 birthday. Initially this only applied to young people who lived in certain postcode areas. It now applies to all children turning 16 no matter where in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Find out more about Personal Independence Payment.

Other benefits at 16

When your child turns 16, you may have to choose whether you keep claiming benefits for them as a dependent, or your child claims benefits in their own right.

In some situations, the benefits you receive for your child as a dependent will stop.

Find out more about benefits at 16.

Moving into adult services (England only)

Disabled children receiving social care support from children and young people's services will be transitioned to adult care and support when they turn 18.

In England, the Care Act was introduced in April 2015 to ensure that there is no gap in services when a young person makes this transition.

Find out more about moving into adult services.

Education beyond 16

A young person with special educational needs (SEN) may need particular support as they plan for the next stage of their education or for moving into adulthood. The SEN system places particular focus on helping young people above 16 prepare for their future.

Find out more about support in education beyond 16


< Back to Your child & your family