NHS changes (England)
Major changes have been made to how NHS health services are commissioned or bought across England. This means that patients and carers could have a bigger say in influencing how health services run in their local area.
Find out what commissioners do [PDF] and how parent carer forums might work with them. Clinical commissioning groups and NHS England [PDF] (formerly the NHS Commissioning Board) are now responsible for purchasing health services.
Find contact details of your clinical commissioning group [PDF].
Read our tips for forums when contacting clinical commissioning group(s) [PDF].
Healthwatch - supporting public and patient involvement
Local Healthwatch organisations are being set up in your local area.
- Read our briefing paper on how local Healthwatch and parent carer forums can help each other [PDF].
- Discover about what Family Voice Peterborough achieved [PDF] by joining forces with their Local Area Involvement network (LINks) Healthwatch replaced LINks in April 2013.
- Find out more about the role of Healthwatch and Healthwatch England [PDF]
Our parent carer participation case studies show how patient groups working direct with commissioners and mangers can be a simple but effective way to improve services.
Joining up services across health, education and social care
- Read our paper on the health and wellbeing board's role [PDF] in promoting integrated services.
- Read why health and wellbeing boards should target disabled children services [PDF], which you might find helpful if needing to make a case in your area.
Other information you might find useful
- We have written some tips to help parent carer forums influence health services [PDF].
- Read about clinical guidance and standards [PDF] that might support your case for improving a service.
- Read Contact's research on disabled children. Our reports might assist you in making a case for improvement.
Contact a Family has received three years funding (2011-2014) from the Department of Health to support this project.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.