This web page contains recorded webinars, training videos and the latest reports on parent carer participation.
You might also find these web pages useful:
- Case studies - examples showing how parent carer participation has improved services
- Running a parent carer forum - information to help parents set up and run a parent carer forum.
Forums, local authorities and health partners need to work more closely than ever as the SEND reforms are implemented.
Watch this co-production video or watch the subtitled version, where forums, local authorities, health providers and commissioners share their experiences of working in co-production and how it helped them improve services.
Find out how Leeds worked in co-production [PDF] involving people at different levels when implementing the SEND reforms.
You can read more about co-production in our Parent Carer Forum Handbook [PDF].
- Webinar recording 'Continuing Healthcare' presented by Charlotte Wilson Solicitor with Irwin Mitchell LLP, focusing on: Entitlement to continuing healthcare, Assessing eligibility, the appeal process and common problem. Download the presentation from the webinar.
- Webinar recording ' Decision making for adults lacking capacity' presented by Helen Smith Solicitor with Irwin Mitchell LLP. This webinar covers an introduction to the Mental Capacity Act 2005, the Court of Protection and the legal framework in place from a health and welfare perspective and much more. Download the presentation from the webinar along with further information on the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and the Court of Protection.
- Webinar recording NNPCF strategy 2: The future of the NNPCF. This webinar recording cover the NNPCF's proposals for their organisation's structure and how you can have your say. The webinar was presented by NNPCF co-chairs Maureen Morris and Mrunal Sisodia. Download the presentation from the webinar along with the conference motions FAQ.
- Webinar recording Preparing for Adulthood presented by Julie Pointer NDTIs children and young people's lead will be available in the coming days. This webinar covers the four PfA life outcome areas: Employment, Independent Living, Friends, relationships and community inclusion & The best possible health Download the presentation and FAQ and resources document from the webinar.
- Webinar recording NNPCF strategy update - Our
vision, mission, objectives and priorities. This webinar will
bring you up to date with where the NNPCF are and shares the
proposed strategy for the next 2-3 years, presented by
Mrunal Sisodia and Lara Roberts of the NNPCF steering group
. Download the
presentation from the webinar.
- Webinar recording Understanding and resolving conflict, presented by Jacqueline Wye, Contact a Family Associate. The webinar looks at the different types of conflict, behaviours that raise the level of conflict and behaviours that help diffuse it, strategies to minimise conflict, managing conflict raised via social media effectively and much more. Download the presentation from the webinar and see a YouTube learning video Managing conflict for forums and associated handout. Download further resources around conflict management styles and minimising conflict in a committee and in forums.
- Webinar recording 'Developing your region' for parent carer forums, presented by Mrunal Sisodia, East of England NNPCF Rep and Kulwinder Bola, Chair of Luton Forum and the East of England region. The webinar looks at: the important and developing role of regional networks in our money saving climate; key strategic regional activity to be involved in; how to set-up your region - governance, structures, staffing, volunteers and polices; and much more. Download the presentation from the webinar [PDF].
- Webinar recording 'Parent Carer Participation grant monitoring and applications' presented by Carolyn Deveney and Rachel King of Contact a Family. This webinar tells you and your forum all you need to know about the revisions to the 2017/18 grant application and monitoring process (NB: the monitoring section starts at 36 minutes) including: ghanges to the grant application process and form; step by step guidance through the application form, and much more. Download the Q&A document supporting this webinar.
- Webinar recording 'Presenting your forum' with Fazilla, chair of Enfield Parent Carer Forum, and Sharon and Jean from Warrington Parent Carer Forum. This webinar gives forums a fresh approach to thinking about the image they want to present to their networks and partners. It includes innovative ideas from other forums and top tips from the Contact a Family head of marketing. Download the presentation from the Webinar.
- Webinar recording 'Good practice in Volunteer Management - an introduction to the four Rs (recruitment, retention, recognition, reward.)' Presented by Gethyn Williams with good practice examples from Leonie Pollinger from South Gloucestershire Parents and Carers. The presentation associated with the webinar will be available shortly.
- Webinar recording 'Transforming Care for children and young people with learning disabilities, autism or both' presented by Mary Busk, NNPCF Steering Group member for London and Sue North, the children's social care and education adviser for the Transforming Care programme. Download the presentation from the Webinar.
- Webinar recording 'Succession planning and handovers' with NNPCF Steering Group member Lara Roberts and Bonnie Arpino from Kent Parent Carer Forum. This webinar looks at developing succession plans for an effective and positive handover.
- Webinar recording ' CQC and Ofsted inspections' with NNPCF National Rep Carol Kelsey and Fazilla Amide from Enfield Parent Carer Forum. Download the presentation from the day, along with the further resources handout [DOC].
- Webinar recording ' Introduction to participation' with Contact a Family associate Sharon Smith and Grainne Saunders from West Sussex Parent Carer Forum. Download the presentation from the day, along with further resources: checklist for forums [DOC], PACE Setter Award case study [PDF], parent rep personal information form [DOC], sample request for parent rep [DOC], sample feedback form (1) [DOC], sample feedback form (2) [DOC], unique experience of being a parent carer [PDF], useful links [DOC].
- Webinar recording 'First steps towards understanding and working with the health system.' With Contact a Family associate Anna Gill and Rachel Trueman from South Gloucestershire Parent Carer Forum, this webinar includes: a bird's eye view of how the health system is structured; an introduction to commissioning within the health system; identifying key levers for change within health and much more. Download the presentation from the day along with further resources, information on marketing your forum, an example report from South Gloucestershire forum and a Q&A document.
- Webinar recording 'Safeguarding for parent carer forums.' Sue North presented this essential guide to safeguarding disabled children and vulnerable adults for parent carer forums. This webinar recording covers: definitions of children, vulnerable adults and types of abuse; key legislation relating to safeguarding; role of parent carer forums in relation to safeguarding; key components of safeguarding policies and procedures, and much more. Download the presentation from the day [PDF]. A Q&A document is also available.
- Webinar recordings 'Grant applications for parent carer forums' and 'Grant monitoring for parent carer forums', presented by Carolyn Deveney, operations lead, and Ben Bennett, grants programme officer. Due to technical issues during the live webinar recording, this webinar has been split into two separate presentations, one to cover the application process and one to cover the monitoring. Download the application process presentation [PDF] or the monitoring process presentation [PDF], or view the Q&A from the webinar [PDF].
- Webinar recording 'Using social media responsibly' presented by Sharon Smith, Contact a Family associate, Amelia Stubberfield, Contact a Family digital engagement officer, and Claire Watts, chair of Bexley Voice. Download the presentation from the day [PDF], along with the following useful supporting documents: example social media policy [DOC], community/members agreements [DOC], photo permissions [DOC], getting started with social media [DOC], useful links [DOC], Q&A from the webinar [DOC].
- Webinar recording 'Reach out a little further' presented by trainer Lorraine Pattison along with Steph and Jacqui from Bolton Parent Carer Consortium. This webinar looks at building an inclusive and credible forum. Download the presentation from the day [PDF]. An FAQ document will be available shortly.
- Webinar recording 'Making Your Case', presented by Barbara Wilson, Contact a Family associate, and Kulwinder Bola, Chair of Luton Parent Carer Forum. This webinar enables forums to use a range of evidence gathering tools to effectively influence commissioners, planners and providers. Download the presentation from the day along with the following useful supporting documents: sources of information [DOC], jargon busting [DOC], forum checklist [DOC], creating a survey [DOC], Q&A from the webinar [DOC], traffic light action plan [DOC], NPC report on how charities can use qualitative research [PDF].
- Webinar recording 'Roles and responsibilities of the chair, secretary and other forum committee members.' This webinar assists parent carer forums with improving their governance and enhancing decision making within their forums. Download the presentation from the day.
- Webinar recording 'SEND Consultation: Parent Carer Forums' delivered by Ofsted. This webinar looks at the new SEND inspection framework proposals and how parent carer forums can support their parent members to contribute to this important public consultation.
- Webinar recording 'Building Active
Members' with Sue Mennear and Leonie from South Gloucestershire
Parent Carer Forum. The webinar covers: analysing your forum's
current strengths and weaknesses in building active members; learn
what's worked from forums across the country; explore behaviours
that build or prevent participation of new members and much
Download the presentation from the webinar along with the following useful supporting documents: developing a communications strategy [DOC], know, like, trust [DOC], motivation drivers [DOC], strategy chart and example [DOC], working out roles and responsibilities in your forum [DOC].
- Webinar recording 'Role of the Treasurer' with Catherine Ratcliffe and Louise of Rotherham Forum. The webinar explains: the roles and responsibilities of the treasurer and the steering group/committee, how to operate a basic accounts system, how to carry out bank reconciliations and handle petty cash systems and muc more. Download the presentation [PDF] associated with this recording along with the following useful supporting documents: template asset register [EXCEL], template report to forum committee [DOC], record of cash spend at event [DOC], event petty cash record [DOC] and useful links and templates for treasurers [DOC].
- Webinar recording 'Short Breaks Services, the journey so far..' This webinar explains: what short breaks services are; responsibilities of statutory authorities; how parent carer forums can be involved; and useful resources. Download the presentation from the short breaks webinar [PDF].
- Webinar Recording "I need to know!" SEND Reforms. The biggest reforms in a generation for how children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities are supported across education, health and social care became law on 1st September 2014. View this recorded Webinar to find out more about the new reforms and explore how these changes might affect you and your family. Presented by trainer Caroline Tomlinson, see the presentation associated with this recording [PDF].
- Webinar with Steve Broach on ' Using the law to challenge cuts to short break services [PDF].' View the presentation [PDF] associated with this session. Please note that although Local Authorities will be setting their budgets for 2015/15 in February, the content of the webinar will remain relevant both to the ways in which any proposed budget cuts are implemented and to budgets for future years, which are likely to see further proposed reductions in funding for children's services including short breaks.
- Webinar with Steve Broach on ' What the Children and Families Act 2014 means for parent carer forums.' This document includes the questions not covered in the webinar and other reading material. View the presentation associated with this session.
- Webinar for health commissioners on 'Improving health services for disabled children'. View the presentation associated with this webinar. Read the Q&A from this session.
- Webinar on ' Why do parent carer forums need a financial control policy?' View the presentation associated with this webinar. Read the Q&A from this session.
- Webinar on ' Participation and Health - Next Steps'. View the presentation associated with this webinar.
- Webinar on 'Social media and how it can work for parent carer forums'. View the presentation associated with this webinar. Due to a technical fault the audio quality is quite poor. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
- Webinar on 'Remuneration of volunteers and paying workers'. View the presentation associated with this webinar. For examples of documents discussed in the webinar see a Volunteer Agreement and a Remuneration of Volunteers Policy, which you can consider adapting for use in your forum.
- Webinar recording on 'What parent carer forums need to know about the law to influence the provision of post-16 education and post-16 transport'. View the presentation associated with this webinar.
Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) - a guide to assist forums
Within the work that parent carer forums are undertaking, they may asked to sign up to a Memorandum of Understanding. Forums may particularly have been asked to do this by local Independent Support Providers, who have been tasked by their contractor to develop a Memorandum of Understanding with partners, including parent carer forums. Please see the our Memorandum of Understanding guide [PDF].
Latest reports on parent carer participation.
- Strengthening Parent Carer Participation: Annual Report 2016-17 [PDF], which reports on how Parent Carer Participation is working across England.
- 9th Department for Education SEND survey of parent carer forums - see the parent carer forum highlights report.
8th Department for Education SEND survey of parent carer forums -see the parent carer forum highlights report [PDF].
- Strengthening the parent carer participation Annual Report 2015-16 Annual report about the experiences of parent carer forums in 2015/16, along with the Achievements and Challenges of parent carer forums 2015-16
Carer Forums Survey 7 Report - Implementation of the SEND
Annual Report from the National Network of Parent Carer Forums
October 2015 [PDF]
- Strengthening Parent Carer Participation: The national picture, April 2014 to March 2015 [PDF], which reports on the Strengthening Parent Participation Project over the last year.
- Parent Carer Forums Survey 5- Implementation of the SEND Reforms
- Parent Carer Forums Survey 3 - Implementation of the SEND Reforms Parent Carer Forums Survey Responses November 2014 [PDF]
- Special Educational Needs and Disability - Readiness for Reform Survey 2 Parent Carer Forums Survey Responses May/June 2014 [PDF]
- Special Educational Needs and Disability - Readiness for Reform Survey 1 Parent Carer Forums Survey Responses February 2014 [PDF]
- Strengthening Parent Carer Participation - The National Picture, April 2012 to March 2013 [PDF]
- National Network of Parent Carer Forums (NNPCF) Progress report [PDF]
- Parent carer forum involvement in shaping health services [PDF]
- Parent carer participation - an overview - good practice in developing parent carer participation, written for commissioners and service managers
Learning on YouTubeSummary versions of training sessions held across the country are available on YouTube. Some of the sessions also have supporting documentation.
- Videos on law and disabled children - Barrister Steve Broach gives the legal context on school transport, school funding, short breaks, personal budgets and direct payments, recent health developments, welfare reform, housing benefit and council tax benefit, the children and families bill for parent forums.
- The law and parent carer forums - how parent carer forums can use the law. This handout gives further information.
- Practicalities and legalities of running a forum - you'll find examples of forum policy and governance documents on our Setting up and running a forum page.
The Contact a Family and NNPCF parent carer participation bulletin (England)
Contact a Family and the National Network of Parent Carer Forums (NNPCF) produce a joint information bulletin. This bulletin contains key information about the development of parent carer participation, information about key changes in England, news for local forums, the latest news from the NNPCF and opportunities for forums to participate.