Other benefits

3 mins read

There are a range of other benefits that families may be getting depending on their circumstances. These include a number of means-tested benefits that are being replaced by Universal Credit. In most cases it is no longer possible to make a new claim for these benefits.

In this article

Means-tested benefits

These means tested benefits include:

Income support

A means-tested benefit to help individuals or families on a low income and with savings below £16,000.

Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)

A benefit for people aged 16-64 whose health problems mean that they are unable to work. There is an income-related type of ESA that has been replaced by Universal Credit for new claimants and a contributory type that still exists for new claimants who have paid sufficient national insurance contributions. 

Housing benefit (rent rebate in Northern Ireland)

This is a means-tested benefit for those who pay rent and are on a low income. However, most people cannot make a new claim for housing benefit. This is because it has been replaced by Universal Credit. If you are a renter who claims Universal Credit, you may get extra Universal Credit payments towards your rent costs instead.

Special rules allow people who live in supported accommodation  to make new claims for housing benefit. Contact our free helpline for further advice if this applies to you.

Jobseekers allowance (JSA)

A benefit for people who are looking for work. There is an income based type of JSA that has been replaced by Universal Credit for new claimants and a contributory type that still exists for new claimants who have paid sufficient national insurance contributions. 

Help with mortgage interest

Prior to April 2018, people on means-tested benefits such as income support and Universal Credit could get benefit payments towards the interest on their mortgage.

However, this has now been replaced by a scheme whereby any payments you receive towards your mortgage from the Department for Work and Pensions onwards is treated as a loan that must be repaid with interest when your property is sold or transferred.

This applies to any payments towards your mortgage interest that you receive from April 2018 onwards.

See our factsheet on support with mortgage interest for more details about support with mortgage interest.

Help with Council Tax and rates

There are also three different schemes that can give you help towards your Council Tax bill. See our information on getting help with Council Tax and rates (in Northern Ireland).

Get a benefits check

There are many other benefits and concessions, which you may qualify for so it is always best to get a full benefit check done regularly.

You can check your likely entitlements by using the benefit calculator on our website

Or ring our national freephone helpline on 0808 808 3555 if you would like one of our specialist advisers to check you are getting all you should be.

Other sources of financial help

You may also be entitled to financial help from other sources, for example a grant from the Family Fund.

This can be paid for specific items to help relieve the stress arising from the day to day care of a child under 18 years who has a severe disability or serious illness, for example laundry equipment, transport expenses, help with driving lessons for you, clothing and holidays.

For more information, visit our section on other sources of financial support, or contact our freephone helpline on 0808 888 3555 to find out more.