Putting things right – Wales

2 mins read

If you have a complaint about your child’s healthcare, you can raise it with the staff involved with your care or treatment. They can look at what may have gone wrong and try to make it better.

In this article

Who should I talk to?

Talk to the staff involved with their care or treatment as soon as possible. They will try to resolve your concerns immediately. If this doesn’t help, you can contact the health board or trust’s “concerns” team (see below).

If you have a concern about services received from the GP, dentist, pharmacist or optician, ask the practice to investigate. You can also ask your health board to do this on your behalf.

Complaints to the health board or trust

Each health board or trust has their own “concerns team”. To find their details, you can phone NHS 111 Wales on 0845 4647 or visit the board’s website.

If you unhappy with health board’s response, you can contact the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales.

You might find the following information helpful:

Complaints to Public Health Wales

Public Health Wales is the national public health agency in Wales.

It exists to protect and improve health and wellbeing and reduce health inequalities for people in Wales. Public Health Wales also takes complaints.

PALS – patient advice and liaison service

For complaints involving hospitals, each health board has a Patient Advice and Liaison service (PALS) with support officers to help make your voice heard.

PALS can provide help with:

  • Health related questions, including about the NHS and any local support groups.
  • Resolving health concerns – especially useful if you are in hospital and are unhappy or concerned about your treatment.
  • Getting more involved in your own healthcare.
  • Providing information about the NHS complaints system, including where you can get independent help.

Support to raise a concern

The Community Health Council’s independent advocacy service provides free and confidential support. You can find your local Community Health Council on their website linked above.

The Public Services Ombudsman for Wales can help with complaints.

See also information on complaints from NHS Wales.