Announcing the winners of our inaugural Contact a Family awards
Wednesday 25th January 2017
We're delighted to share with you the winners of our very first Contact a Family awards.
A huge well done to:
- Philippa and Geoff Gretton, winners of the parent carer award, who make sure their son Ryan can live the life he wants to.
- Craig Mathieson, winner of the parent power award for his tireless work bringing about a monumental change in disability benefits law.
- Sid Page, winner of the proudest moment award for overcoming obstacles to save the day when his mum was in trouble.
- Becki Plant, winner of the family champion award who's always there for the countless children she teaches as special educational needs coordinator (SENCO).
- Chloe Thomson, first winner of the sibling award for the friendship she offers her autistic step brother.
- Sophie Nesbitt, our second winner of the sibling award for making her brother Jack smile and laugh every day.
- Kara Powell, winner of the grandparents award for her care for her four-year old grandson and the rest of her family.
Our eight winners were announced in January at a special ceremony at Speakers House at the Palace of Westminster. Over 100 MPs and families came to meet and find out more about the work we do to support families with disabled children.
BBC Radio 4's Jane Garvey hosted, and Minister for Disabled People Penny Mordaunt MP presented the award for our star grandparent, Kara.
We launched our awards to shine a well-deserved spotlight on the amazing things families do when caring for a disabled child. You can read about all the finalists in our Contact a Family Awards 2017 booklet [PDF].
Join our campaign network
We campaign for a more positive image of disabled children in the media. We make sure families know that they can talk to their MP about the issues that are important to them.