Go back a step

Council tax bills are set to rise - make sure you are not missing out on help

Tuesday 13th February 2018

95 per cent of councils in England are expected to increase council tax bills this April, with some of biggest councils considering a 6 per cent increase.

Council tax hikes are likely to impact hard on families with disabled children, many of whom are already struggling to pay for everyday essentials like food and heating.

Could you get money off your council tax bill?

Given this, it's more important than ever that parents make sure that they are claiming any help that they can with towards their council tax bills.

There are a number of different schemes that mean some families with a disabled child can get money off their bill.

For instance:

  • If your property has a sensory room or a second bathroom because your child's needs, you might be able to get a disability reduction in your bill.
  • If you care for a severely disabled child who is aged 18 or over, you might be able to get a discount of up to 50 per cent.
  • If you are out of work or on low earnings, you might be able to qualify for a council tax reduction.

To find out more about the help that is available, download our free parent guide to help with council tax bills [PDF].

Related information