New Young Carers Grant introduced in Scotland
Thursday 31st October 2019
Last week saw the introduction of a new payment for young carers in Scotland.
The Young Carers Grant is a lump sum payment of £300, which can be made once a year to 16-18 year olds who are providing at least 16 hours a week care to a severely disabled person.
Who qualifies for a grant?
In order to qualify for a payment a young carer must be all of the following:
- Aged 16-18 years old.
- Not receiving Carer's Allowance.
- Helping to look after a disabled person who gets a qualifying disability benefit, for example the care component of Disability Living Allowance at the middle or highest rate, the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance.
- Be providing 16 hours or more care a week (as averaged over a 13 week period).
Does the 16 hours care need to be provided to one disabled person?
No. If the young carer looks after more than one severely disabled person, they can add together the care they provide to up to three different people. However, all of the disable people counted must be on one of the benefits mentioned above.
What sort of care counts?
The grant is paid to young people for care that promotes the "physical, mental or emotional wellbeing of an individual," so it is likely that supervision and emotional support will count as well as physical care.
Can a young carer get a grant if someone else is getting Carer's Allowance for that disabled person?
Yes. If a young carer meets the qualifying rules they can get a grant, even if someone else is already claiming Carer's Allowance for the person that they are helping look after.
So for example, a young carer who helps their parent to look after a disabled brother or sister can get a carer's grant, regardless of the fact that their parent is already getting Carer's Allowance as their sibling's main carer.
If two young carers look after the same disabled person can they both get a grant?
No. Only one young carer can receive a grant for looking after the same disabled person.
How do you apply for a young carers grant?
The new grants became available from 21 October 2019. A young carer can apply either:
- Online at https://www.mygov.scot/young-carer-grant/
- By phoning Social Security Scotland for free on 0800 182 2222.
- By paper form that can be downloaded at mygov.scot and returned to: PO Box 10314, Dundee, DD1 9GN. Alternatively they can also request the paper form be sent out with a prepaid envelope by phoning Social Security Scotland.