Our helpline is here for you during lockdown
Monday 18th May 2020
The coronavirus situation has brought new challenges to every area of life. And as a parent carer of a disabled child or young person, you may have additional worries.
Whether you're facing new problems, or the same ones, our free helpline is still here for you. We are open between 9.30am and 5pm every weekday (from 10.15am on Tuesdays) on 0808 808 3555.
What can we help with?
We can help with education issues such as:
- Questions about your child's education during the coronavirus situation.
- Temporary changes in Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan law and how they will affect your child's support in school or college.
- Your child's draft EHC plan. If you've recently received a new or amended draft plan, we can advise you how to check it's got everything in it that it should have.
- Your rights around asking for a school or college to be named on your child's EHC plan.
- How to appeal against a decision about an EHC assessment or plan.
- Applying for transport to school or college.
Help with social care and benefits
Due to the crisis you may be facing additional problems with getting practical help and support for your family. We can advise you about the help you might be entitled to, how to ask for it and may be able to suggest further specialist sources of help.
Our helpline team can advise about applying for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and other benefits and financial help for parent carers. If needed we may arrange for you to speak to a specialist in our family finance team for more detailed advice.
You can contact us whatever your child's condition, disability or special educational need. If we can't help, we'll try to identify an organisation that can.
See our webpage for more information about how our helpline can help, and call us on 0808 808 3555.
We're keeping up to date with latest developments on the coronavirus situation and you can find the latest information on our website.
See also our Common Questions Tool for answers to some of our most frequent questions.