Roll out of Universal Credit will be complete by 12th December
Tuesday 4th December 2018
This month sees the roll out of the Universal Credit full service to the last few remaining jobcentres in the UK. By 12 December the new benefit will finally apply to all parts of the UK.
On 5 December, the Universal Credit full service will be rolled out to the following jobcentre areas:
- Amlwch, Holyhead and Llangefni on the Isle of Anglesey
- Ballymena and Antrim in Northern Ireland
- Blackpool, St Annes and Wyre in Lancashire
- Castlemilk, Drumchapel and Shettleston in Glasgow
- Everton and west Derby in Liverpool.
- Hemel Hempstead
- Kentish Town and Wembley in London
- Milton Keynes
Then on 12th December this will be followed with:
- Aberystwyth, Ammanford, Bangor, Caernarfon, Cardigan, Carmarthen, Dolgellau, Llaneli, Porthmadog and Pwllheli in Wales
- Alnwick, Bedlington, Blyth and Hexham in Northumberland
- Fakenham and North Walsham in Norfolk
- Hull Britannia House
- Kidsgrove and Newcastle under Lyme
- Mildenhall and Newmarket in Suffolk
- North Kensington in London
- Hillsborough and Woodhouse in Sheffield
This will only affect you if you try and make a new claim for one of the means-tested benefits that Universal Credit is replacing. Existing claimants won't be asked to claim Universal Credit until a later date.
Even if you try and make a new claim for a means-tested benefit, you will be exempt from having to claim Universal Credit if you have more than two dependent children. This is because larger families are currently exempt from Universal Credit. However this will change on 1 February when the exemption for larger families will be scrapped.
NEED HELP UNDERSTANDING UNIVERSAL CREDIT?
Visit our Universal Credit webpage for more information about Universal Credit and who is expected to claim it. You can also download our Universal Credit - the essentials factsheet [PDF] or our factsheet on how Universal Credit affects families with disabled children [PDF]. If you are affected by any of these issues and need advice, get in touch with our helpline.