Go back a step

Need help challenging bedroom tax decisions?

Monday 8th April 2013

Contact a Family has put together two template letters to be used by parents where a disabled child's need for their own bedroom is not being taken into account by their local housing benefit office.

  • One letter is for those in social housing affected by the introduction of the bedroom tax (or removal of the spare room subsidy) this month.
  • The other letter is for those renting in the private sector under local housing allowance rules.

Call our freephone helpline on 0808 808 3555 to receive a copy of the letters.

In both social housing and private sector cases parents should submit any supporting evidence alongside the template letter about why their child's conditions means they cannot share a room with a sibling. You can ask your child's doctor or paediatrician to write a letter to help you with this.

This advice is being issued in light of the announcement on 'bedroom tax' from 12 March 2013 when the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) dropped its attempt to overturn the court of appeal ruling in the Gorry case that housing benefit rules are discriminatory towards disabled children and their families. 

As a result, the DWP issued urgent new guidance to local authorities, which means that families will no longer face a reduction in housing benefit if their child is unable to share a bedroom because of their disability - a feature of the so called 'bedroom tax'.

Some local housing benefit offices may not be aware of the new guidance yet so it's important that parents get advice from our freephone helpline on 0808 808 3555.

See further important advice for families on bedroom tax.