Could you be paying less Council Tax?

1 min read

Thursday 11 August 2022

Council Tax Disability Reduction Scheme banner

Did you know that you could pay less Council Tax if your child requires extra space due to their disability?

This applies to families in England, Scotland or Wales with a child who either:

  • Uses a wheelchair indoors.
  • Needs an extra bathroom/kitchen to meet their needs.
  • Requires another room due to their disability — such as for therapy or treatment.

Only one of the criteria need apply.

If you qualify, your bill will be charged at the next lowest Council Tax band (those already on the lowest band get a 17% discount instead). You can ask for this to be backdated, but seek further advice if you’re looking for more than six years of backdating.

Contact your local council online or by phone to apply. They may ask for extra evidence, such as a letter from your child’s doctor or social worker.

For more details on eligibility, visit our webpage on help with council tax and rates. (Rates are paid by households in Northern Ireland instead of Council Tax.)