Carer’s and Needs Assessments: What’s the difference?

1 min read

Wednesday 17 August 2022

Parent carers of disabled children in the UK have the right to ask social services for certain practical help for the family.

This can include help with personal care, home adaptations, specialist equipment or short breaks from caring.

Usually, getting practical help involves the local authority (or health or social care trust in Northern Ireland) for a needs assessment or a carer’s assessment. But what’s the difference between the two?

The chart below summarises some key differences between the two types of assessment.

You’ll find a lot more information in the links below, including template letters that you can use to ask for either assessment: