Keep coughs, colds and flu at bay this winter
2 mins read
Wednesday 13 October 2021
It’s common to pick up coughs colds and flu at this time of year. But reduced mixing with others because of Covid-19 restrictions over the last 18 months means that many of us won’t have come into contact with the usual viruses that cause coughs, colds and respiratory infections.
As Covid-19 restrictions lift and we spend more time together indoors as the evenings become darker and colder this autumn, it will be easier for respiratory infections to spread. And viral infections like flu and RSV – a common winter virus that can cause breathing difficulties in some young children – could take advantage of our relative lack of immunity.
Reduce your chances of becoming ill
To help keep your family as well as possible this autumn and winter you can:
- Get to know the signs and symptoms of Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) in babies and toddlers – especially if they have a health condition or complex medical needs. RSV us one of the common viruses that causes coughs and colds in winter and the main cause of breathing difficulties (bronchiolitis) in young children. To help, we’ve answered some of your questions about RSV in very young children.
- Doctors predict that this autumn and winter more babies and toddlers than ever will contract respiratory infections caused by RSV because they won’t have been exposed to this common seasonal virus and as a result, had the chance to build up natural immunity to it yet. If you have a baby or toddler aged 3 or under sign up to get our latest information and advice to help your child aged 0-3 stay well this winter.
- Don’t miss out on getting the free flu vaccination for yourself and your children as winter and the flu season looms by booking your free flu jab
- Get your booster jab for covid-19. Booster vaccine doses are now available on the NHS for people most at risk from COVID-19 who have had a 2nd dose of a vaccine at least 6 months ago.
- Keep warm indoors. Take a look at our advice about help with fuel and water bills and energy saving tips.