More opportunities, not less support, for disabled young people

4 mins read

Wednesday 19 August 2026

Contact has joined more than 40 charities calling on the government to protect financial support for disabled young people as it considers how to help more young people into education and employment.

The open letter comes ahead of Alan Milburn’s final review into young people and work. It follows his call this week for a major expansion of supported internships for young disabled people.

Contact strongly supports better opportunities for disabled young people who want to work. This includes supported internships, better employment support, accessible transport and more inclusive workplaces. All can help tackle the barriers that prevent too many disabled young people from getting jobs.

But creating better opportunities for disabled young people must not be used as a reason to cut financial support from those with the most significant needs.

Welfare debate obscures differences between disabled young people

The government has previously proposed removing the Universal Credit health element from disabled young people aged under 22.

Young people receiving this support have undergone a Work Capability Assessment. They have been found to have limited capability for work and work-related activity. In other words, their disability or health condition means they are not currently expected to work or prepare for work.

This matters, because the debate about young people who are not in education, employment or training can sometimes obscure the very different circumstances of disabled young people receiving the Universal Credit health element.

Our helpline hears from many families whose disabled young people receive the health element. Many are taking part in education, life-skills programmes or supported work. Others have disabilities and care needs so significant that paid employment may never be realistic.

Removing their financial support would not remove the barriers preventing them from working.

What we’re asking the government to do

Alongside charities, we are calling on the government to choose support and opportunity rather than cuts and sanctions.

We want to see investment in specialist employment support, supported internships and other meaningful opportunities for young disabled people who can and want to work.

We want disabled young people to be able to try work or volunteering without their benefits being put at risk.

And there must continue to be a strong financial safety net for young people whose disabilities mean employment is not currently possible – or may never be possible.

Erika Lye from Powys is the mother of three disabled children. Logan is 20 and has cerebral palsy, learning difficulties and autism, while Jack is 18 and is autistic and non-verbal. Logan currently receives the health element of Universal Credit after being supported by Contact to claim it. Jack will soon be applying for the extra support.

Under rules introduced in April 2026, Jack would already receive only half the amount his brother does, even before any further changes if introduced. 

Erika says:

“It is great to hear that Alan Milburn wants more supported internships for disabled young people. But for those with learning disabilities like Jack, or those whose combination of conditions together produce profound disability like Logan, there needs to be access to financial support too. This allows them to not face destitution, using food banks and other humiliations or pushing our families to social services.”

Families already facing a financial cliff edge

Anna Bird, Chief Executive of Contact, said:

 “Families we support are deeply worried that the government is considering scrapping the health element for disabled young people aged 16-21. More than 2,500 have contacted their MP to raise their concerns.

“Contact’s helpline speaks to large numbers of families with disabled young people getting the Universal Credit health element. Often they are participating in education, life-skills programmes or supported work. Others have disabilities so significant that paid employment may never be realistic.

“The intended purpose of these proposals is to target those not in education, employment or training (NEET). And yet many disabled young people in education and supported work are caught up in this policy. They could face a devastating drop in income of £630 per month.

“Families already face a financial cliff edge as their disabled child reaches adulthood, despite their care needs and extra costs continuing. Cutting their income won’t create opportunities. The government should tackle the barriers that reduce participation – gaps in education, transport and employment support – rather than taking financial security away.”

Take action

Thousands of Contact supporters have already contacted their MPs about the proposed changes.

If you haven’t yet taken action, ask your MP to protect the Universal Credit health element for disabled young people and support better opportunities for those who can and want to work.