Gender dysphoria

If your child is affected by a medical condition or disability we can help. Call our freephone helpline on 0808 808 3555 to get information, support and advice. You can also browse our range of parent guides on aspects of caring for a disabled child in our resource library.

To meet other parents see support groups below or meet other parents online in our private Facebook group

Please see below for reliable medical information on gender dysphoria produced by alternative providers.

NHS website

Although alternative links have been selected with great care, Contact cannot accept responsibility for any inaccuracies or errors. Alternative information providers give details of their quality control procedures on their website, which includes review of information by a qualified medical professional.

Is there support?


Helpline: 0808 801 0400

The Organisation is a Registered Charity in England and Wales No. 1073991. It supports children and teenagers up to the age of 19 who are trying to cope with gender identity issues, and their parents and carers. The Organisation raises awareness about gender issues amongst professionals, and campaigns for the recognition of this issue and an increase in services.

Group details last reviewed March 2024.

The Gender Identity Research & Education Society (GIRES)

Email: via website

The Society is a Registered Charity in England and Wales No. 1068137. It provides information and support to individuals and families affected by gender discomfort and transexualism. The Society offers support to schools, and produces a directory of the national and local groups that support trans people. 

Group details last reviewed March 2024.

Back to A-Z Conditions