Common concerns

2 mins read

Is your child having difficulty meeting certain milestones? It is never too early to seek help or advice.

It can be very difficult to decide whether your child is just slow in developing and will catch up or whether you need to ask for help. For some children, getting help early can make a real difference, and there are lots of different people who can help.

In this article

Who do I speak to if I’m concerned about my child?

You are given a Personal Child Health Record when your child is born. It can help you decide whether your child is slow in their development. Try to keep it up to date and take it with you when you go to see your doctor or health visitor.

You can talk about any worries you have about your child with your family doctor (GP), health visitor or nurse. A doctor or nurse might suggest your child sees a paediatrician, who will try to identify anything that could be causing your child to have a problem, or they might suggest you see a specialist.

If your child is being seen at a hospital or clinic you can always ask the nurse or doctor for their advice.

Local children’s centres can also provide advice and help your child’s development through play and learning experiences. In Scotland these are called family centres or early years centres.

For more information about developmental milestones see our advice about Developmental DelaySupport when your child doesn’t have a diagnosis and Health services in the UK.

Related information

Visit our Fledglings shop

Our not-for-profit shop sells products, clothing and specialist equipment for disabled children.

shop now