Who do I speak to about concerns?

2 mins read

This advice applies across the UK.

Who to speak to if you have concerns about any aspect of your child’s development, including sleep, feeding and eating, and behaviour.

In this article

Personal Child Health Records

You receive a Personal Child Health Record when your child is born. It can help you decide whether your child is slow in their development. Try to keep it up to date and take it with you when you go to see your doctor or health visitor.

Who to talk to

You can talk about any worries you have about your child with your family doctor (GP), health visitor or nurse. A doctor or nurse might suggest your child sees a paediatrician, who will try to identify anything that could be causing your child to have a problem, or they might suggest you see a specialist.

If your child is going to a hospital or clinic, you can always ask the nurse or doctor for their advice. Local children’s centres can also provide advice and help your child’s development through play and learning experiences. In Scotland, these are called family centres or early years centres.

More information

For more information about developmental milestones see our advice about Developmental DelaySupport when your child doesn’t have a diagnosis and Health services in the UK.

If your child has been born prematurely or sick, you can find information and support from the charity Bliss.