Confused about claiming Universal Credit for a young disabled person in education? Get advice at our Facebook Q&A on 18 January!

3 mins read

Monday 15 January 2024

Tags: universal credit, universal credit for students

The rules that govern when a young disabled person in education can claim Universal Credit are extremely complex . That’s why advisers from our Family Finance Team are inviting you to ask any questions you have about this at a special Q&A session on Thursday 18th January between 10am – 11.30 am on our Facebook Group.

How to join our Facebook group

Joining our Facebook Group is easy. Just answer a few simple questions to register and you’re in!

Join us there on Thursday 18th January from 10am-11.30am when our team of Family Finance advisers will be waiting to answer your questions. Put the date in your diary!

The Universal Credit rules

The benefit rules prevent most young people in education from getting Universal Credit. However, some disabled students can qualify for Universal Credit. This includes young people who either:

  • have taken part in a DWP medical assessment and established that they have a limited capability for work before they started their current course; or
  • remain in full time non advanced education beyond the August after their 19th birthday.

Get advice before claiming Universal Credit

Even if your child falls into one of these groups and can claim Universal Credit it’s not always a good idea to do so. This is because they will stop being treated as a dependent child and as a result any Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit or other payments that you receive for them as dependent child will stop.

Making a ‘credits only’ claim for new style Employment and Support Allowance

Contact recommends that disabled teenagers undergo a work capability assessment when they turn 16 to try to establish that they have a limited capability for work early on. Doing this can increase their chances of being able to claim Universal Credit at a later date if they either change courses or stay in non-advanced education past the age of 19.

But here’s the catch: if you simply ask the DWP to carry out a work capability assessment, they are likely to refuse. The only way to make sure an assessment takes place is by making a ‘credits-only’ claim for new-style ESA. Your child won’t qualify for the ESA payment itself, but the DWP will have to carry out a work capability assessment as part of the claims process and this may help them to get Universal Credit at a later date.

Can’t make 18 January?

We have lots of information about claiming Universal Credit for a young person, on our website.