Learn about social care assessments for families in England at our Facebook Q&A

2 mins read

Tuesday 11 October 2022

Tags: social care, facebook q&a

Many disabled children and their families rely on support from social care, such as short breaks, personal care and help in the home.

All parent carers in England can ask their local authority for an assessment of their child’s needs or of their needs as a carer if they think they require support from social services, but many families we talk to are unaware of these rights.

To help, our helpline advisers are running a special Q&A about social care assessments over at Contact’s private Facebook Group for parent carers on 20 October between 10 and 11:30am.

The aim of the Q&A is to help families who are new to social care to understand how to go about accessing the support they need.

The session will be held entirely in writing. It will not be a video stream.

Join us on Thursday 20 October at 10am

This Q&A session is your chance to learn more about how to access social care assessments and what support your family could get as a result. 

To take part, you’ll need to join more than 15,500 parent carers as a member of our closed Facebook Group. Simply head over to the group, answer the three simple questions that come up when you request to become a member, and our team will let you in!

Then, visit the group at any point between 10-11.30am on 20 October and you will see a special Q&A post where our social care advisers will be answering any questions from parents. Leave a comment under the post with your question and our team will get back to you.

Can’t make it on 20 October?

Once our session is finished, you’ll be able to read through all the written questions and answers at a time that suits you. 

You can also browse our Services and Support guide for more information about social care, as well as visit our Needs Assessments or Carer’s Assessments webpages to download template letters that you can use to request either assessment. 

Take a look at our recent news story to learn more about the difference between a Needs Assessment and a Carer’s Assessment.