Scottish Adult Disability Payment rolls out to more areas

2 mins read

Wednesday 27 July 2022

Adult Disability Payment, the benefit replacing Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for disabled adults in Scotland, is now open for new claimant applications in more pilot areas.

What are the new pilot areas?

Your child can now apply for Adult Disability Payment if:

And they live in:

  • Fife.
  • Aberdeen City.
  • Aberdeenshire.
  • Moray.
  • North Ayrshire.
  • East Ayrshire.
  • South Ayrshire.

They can make a new claim for Adult Disability Payment online at They can also call Social Security Scotland free on 0800 182 2222, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

This only applies to new PIP claimants. People in these areas already receiving PIP, DLA or Child Disability Payment will continue to receive them for the time-being.

Where else can I apply for Adult Disability Payment?

Adult Disability Payment has already replaced new claims for PIP in the following council areas:

  • Dundee City.
  • Perth.
  • Kinross.
  • Western Isles.
  • Angus.
  • North Lanarkshire.
  • South Lanarkshire.

If you live in one of the pilot areas, you cannot make a new claim for PIP. You will need to apply for Adult Disability Payment instead.

If you do not live in one of the pilot areas, you can still apply for PIP from the Department of Work and Pensions.

When will existing PIP claimants move onto Adult Disability Payment?

People already claiming PIP are moving onto Adult Disability Payment in stages starting from this summer. Transfers will happen automatically without needing to make a claim and without any need for a reassessment.

Read more about the roll-out timescales for existing PIP claimants.

For more information about Adult Disability Payment, see our webpage on Adult Disability Payment and benefits at 16.