Social care

As a parent of a disabled child you are entitled to certain services that can help you, your child and your family.

We hear from some families who are unaware of those rights, and this can lead to missing out and struggling without support. This section of the website will cover those areas of support and entitlements.

What is social care?

How to access services

What to expect at an assessment

Your needs as a carer

Personal budgets and direct payments

Short breaks

Blue Badge disabled parking permits

Play, leisure and recreation

Hiring a personal assistant

Aids, equipment and adaptations

Moving into adult services

Making a complaint

Seeking legal advice

Our helpline

You can also call our helpline (Monday-Friday, 9.30am-5pm) on 0808 808 3555 and speak to one of our advisers for further advice. Where necessary we can also try and suggest organisations that provide support in accessing those services.

You can also email our helpline at or post a message on our Facebook page, and our parent advisers will answer your query.