Play, leisure and recreation

Governments in the UK recognise that disabled children need good quality play and leisure opportunities. This means that local authorities must provide access to play and leisure.

In this article

What support can I get?

Local authorities must support children who need help to play or special equipment and practical support to access certain activities and facilities.

Help can include access to:

With additional support some disabled children may also be able to access mainstream leisure facilities such as swimming pools and sports activities.

In England and Wales, your local Family Information Service can tell you what services are available near to you. In England, every local authority must publish a ‘local offer’ of services, and this includes information about leisure activities.

You should find this on your local authority’s website. If you’re not sure with local authority you come under, type your postcode into the search bar at


For more information about accessible holidays, day trips and attractions, including advice about travel insurance, visit the charity website Tourism for All or call 0845 124 9971.

Our out & about

Visit our Fledglings shop for products to make life easier for days on-the-go.

Shop now