Transport & leisure discounts

4 mins read

This advice applies across the UK.

You might be eligible for help with parking, getting a car, paying road tax and rail and bus travel, as well as advice on saving on leisure activities.

In this article

Help with parking (Blue Badge)

Blue Badge permit holders can park closer to their destination, for example in designated parking spaces.

Although the scheme applies throughout the UK, the rules about who qualifies are different in each of the nations. You need to apply by contacting your local authority, and there may be a small administrative charge.

Find out more about the Blue Badge scheme and eligibility.

Help getting a car and driving lessons

Motability Scheme

The Motability Scheme helps disabled people hire a car, powered wheelchair or scooter, and scheme customers might qualify for a driving lessons grant.

You can join the Motability Scheme if your child gets:

Your child’s award must have 12 months left to run.

Find out more by visiting the Motability Scheme website.

Family Fund Mobility Support

Family Fund Mobility Support is a programme that helps families raising a disabled or seriously ill child under three years old meet their mobility needs through a car-leasing package for a limited period. Family Fund and Motability fund this programme.

Learn more and apply for Family Fund Mobility Support site.

Help with road tax

You can get a 100% rebate on Vehicle Excise Duty if your child gets the DLA / Child Disability Payment mobility component at the higher rate or PIP / Adult Disability Payment mobility component at the enhanced rate.

You’ll get a 50 % rebate if your child qualifies for PIP / Adult Disability Payment mobility component at the standard rate.

Claimants are usually told about this when notified about the award of these components. If you haven’t received any information, and you think you qualify, contact the DLA helpline on 0800 121 4600 or PIP helpline on 0800 917 2222.

For more details, visit the government’s website.

Help with bus travel

All local authorities operate schemes allowing disabled people of any age to apply for a bus pass or voucher for free bus travel. In some areas an essential, named carer accompanying the disabled person is also entitled to free travel. Contact your local authority for more details.

In Scotland, children and young people aged 5-21, alongside disabled people aged five and over (in some cases including a companion), can apply for a National Entitlement Card granting free bus travel across the country.

Travel to hospital for treatment

You may be able to get help with reasonable travel costs if you’re referred to hospital or other NHS premises for treatment or tests.

Disabled Person’s Railcard

Buying this railcard entitles disabled people and a companion up to a third off most train fares. For further information visit the Disabled Person’s Railcard website.

School transport

Local authorities may provide transport or help with the costs for eligible children and young people. Find out more about school transport.

Leisure discounts

Many major attractions and organisations in the UK allow free entry to a parent or carer accompanying a disabled person. It’s always worth asking if a discount is available.

The Max Card is a local authority-commissioned card scheme for disabled children (ages 0-19). It offers families discounted access to UK attractions. If your local authority funds the scheme you will be able to access a free card. To find out if you’re eligible, see

The Cinema Exhibitors’ Association Card is a UK-wide card scheme for participating cinemas. If you or your child is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance or a registered blind person, the card entitles you to one free ticket for a person to go to the cinema with you. The card currently costs £6 a year. Visit to find out more.