Carer’s Allowance campaign

Increasing the Carer’s Allowance earnings threshold

In order to get Carer’s Allowance your earnings after allowable deductions must be no more than £132 per week. This means parents working more than 14 hours on the National Living Wage will find that their wages are over the Carer’s Allowance earnings limit and will therefore lose entitlement to this benefit.

We want the Carer’s Allowance earnings threshold to increase in line with rises in the National Living Wage (NLW) and have written to the Minister for Disabled People about this.

Read our advice if you’re affected by this issue

Increase in Carer’s Allowance

A quarter of UK parents of disabled children provide an unimaginable 100+ hours of care every week. This is the equivalent of working three full-time jobs simultaneously. This has increased in lockdown.

We want the government increase in the rate of Carer’s Allowance so that carers get the financial support they need and deserve. Government should offer all unpaid carers a Covid recovery payment to recognise the extra care they have provided since the pandemic began. 

Help demand change by emailing our #CountingTheCosts template letter to your MP.

What you can do

If you have been affected by any of these issues, please email  or call 020 7608 8742.

Boost our Carer’s Allowance campaign by making a donation