Who do I speak to about concerns?

1 min read

You receive a Personal Child Health Record when your child is born. It can help you decide whether your child is slow in their development. Try to keep it up to date and take it with you when you go to see your doctor or health visitor.

You can talk about any worries you have about your child with your family doctor (GP), health visitor or nurse. A doctor or nurse might suggest your child sees a paediatrician, who will try to identify anything that could be causing your child to have a problem, or they might suggest you see a specialist.

If your child is going to a hospital or clinic, you can always ask the nurse or doctor for their advice. Local children’s centres can also provide advice and help your child’s development through play and learning experiences. In Scotland, these are called family centres or early years centres.

For more information about developmental milestones see our advice about Developmental DelaySupport when your child doesn’t have a diagnosis and Health services in the UK.