How to access services

1 min read

If you child needs support, additional care or to access local services or help to access local services, you can ask your local authority to carry out a needs assessment.

You can also ask for your needs as a carer to be reviewed in a carer’s assessment.

And if the local authority agrees that services should be provided, you might be offered the option of personal budgets or direct payments.

Browse this section to find out more about these topics. If you are on a mobile device, click the menu above called ‘In this section’.

Note that where we refer to the local authority social services department, this also includes the Social Work Department in Scotland and the Health and Social Services Trust in Northern Ireland.