Transport & leisure discounts

3 mins read

You might be eligible for help with parking, getting a car, paying road tax and rail and bus travel, as well as advice on saving on leisure activities.

In this article

Help with parking

You are eligible for the Blue Badge parking concession scheme if your child either:

  • Receives the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
  • Is aged two or above and has severe walking problems.
  • Is under three and has a condition which means they either need to be accompanied by bulky equipment or kept near a vehicle at all times.

Disabled adults on Personal Independence Payments (PIP) also qualify for a Blue Badge if they score eight points or more under the PIP activity of ‘moving around’.

In Scotland and Wales entitlement has also been extended to those adults who score 12 points or more in the PIP activity of ‘planning and following a journey’. While in England PIP claimants can qualify if they score 10 points because they are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause them overwhelming psychological distress. 

If your child does’t qualify for a blue badge automatically under the above rules, they may still qualify under the so called ‘assessed route’. Find out more about the Blue Badge scheme.

Help getting a car and driving lessons

The Motability Scheme helps disabled people hire a car or instead a scooter or powered wheelchair, and Scheme customers might qualify for a driving lessons grant.

You can join the Motability Scheme if your child is awarded the highest rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP). Your child’s award must have 12 months left to run.

Find out more by visiting the Mobility Scheme website.

Help with road tax

You can get a 100 per cent rebate on Vehicle Excise Duty if your child is awarded the DLA mobility component at the higher rate or PIP mobility component at the enhanced rate.

A 50 per cent rebate is made where someone qualifies for PIP mobility component at the standard rate.

For more details, call the DLA unit (0345 7123 456) or PIP unit (0800 917 2222) or visit the government’s website.

Help with bus travel

All local authorities operate schemes allowing disabled people of any age to apply for a bus pass or voucher for free bus travel. In some areas an essential, named carer accompanying the disabled person is also entitled to free travel.

Contact your local authority for more details.

Disabled Person’s Railcard

Buying this railcard entitles disabled people and a companion up to a third off most train fares. For further information visit the disabled person’s railcard website.

School transport

Local authorities may provide transport or help with the costs for eligible children and young people. Find out more about school transport.

Leisure discounts

Many major attractions and organisations in the UK allow free entry to a parent or carer accompanying a disabled person. It’s always worth asking if a discount is available.

The Max Card is a local authority-commissioned card scheme for disabled children (ages 0-19). It offers families discounted access to UK attractions. If your local authority funds the scheme you will be able to access a free card. To find out if you’re eligible, see

The Cinema Exhibitors’ Association Card is a UK-wide card scheme for participating cinemas. If you or your child is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance or a registered blind person, the card entitles you to one free ticket for a person to go to the cinema with you. The card currently costs £6 a year. Visit