Benefits & money

5 mins read

This advice applies across the UK.

You might be starting to think about your son or daughter’s financial independence and how they’ll start to manage their own money. You’ll also need to be aware of changes to any benefits payments you or your child receive to help with their support as they turn 16.

In this article

Building your child’s financial awareness

It’s a good idea to involve your son or daughter in managing their money as far as possible, depending on their understanding and ability. Here are some tips:

Useful resources

United Response has easy-read Making Money Easier guides for people with learning disabilities, including advice about choosing and using a bank account, a glossary on common banking terms, tips on budgeting and a guide to help people live independently.

Dosh supports people with learning disability to manage money and has information on managing money, opening a bank account and so on.

The Money Advice Service has a beginners guide to managing money, including information on budgeting tools, saving and prepaid cards.

Independent Living Foundation (ILF) Scotland provide a Transition grant to help disabled young people aged 16-25 become more independent as they move into adulthood.

Benefit changes at 16

Moving from Disability Living Allowance to Personal Independence Payment in England, Northern Ireland and Wales

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit to help with the extra costs of disability for adults aged 16-64. It replaces Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children when they turn 16.

Children turning 16 who currently claim DLA will be asked to claim PIP after their 16 birthday.

Moving from Disability Living Allowance / Child Disability Payment to Adult Disability Payment in Scotland

Adult Disability Payment is a new disability benefit in Scotland for disabled adults aged 16 and over. The Scottish government is introducing Adult Disability Payment to replace Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

If your child gets Disability Living Allowance or Child Disability Payment, they will not be automatically transferred onto Adult Disability Payment. Instead, you or your child will have to make a claim for Adult Disability Payment at some point between their 16th and 18th birthday.

Other benefits at 16 (England only)

When your child turns 16, you may have to choose whether you keep claiming benefits for them as a dependent, or your child claims benefits in their own right.

In some situations, the benefits you receive for your child as a dependent will stop.

Find out more about benefits at 16.

Acting as a benefits appointee

If your son or daughter lacks the mental capacity to manage their own affairs, you may be able to receive and manage benefits for them, acting as their appointee.

Education costs

Tuition is free for 16-18 year olds. Young people over 19 without Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans in England can be charged tuition fees, depending on the type and level of course they’re studying.

In Scotland and Wales, a weekly payment called Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is available to 16-18 year olds (and some 19 year olds). The amount your child could get will depend on parental income.

In England, there are two types of 16-19 bursary that your child might be eligible for.

Find out more about help with education costs.

Paying for adult social care services – England

One a young person is 18, any charging by social services would be under the rules governing charging for adult care services under the Care Act.

Read more about paying for adult services.