Support setting up and running a forum
On this page you can find support on the day-to-day running of a parent carer forum, including advice on setting up a forum in your area.
Parent Carer Participation Handbook
The parent carer participation handbook [PDF] is useful for anyone involved in running a forum.
NB. If reading in Adobe interactive mode, press Esc keyto get Menu bar to download document or print pages.
If the interactive features are not working, make sure you have opened the document in Adobe.
The handbook includes information on all aspects of running a forum including:
- Getting started, policies, governance
- Finances including paying parents
- Working as a team, managing conflict
- Reaching and consulting with parents
- Working with local authorities & health to improve services
Co-production and campaigning guidance
The conditions of their grant mean that parent carer forums can't take part in campaign activity. However, that doesn't mean that forums can't support local and national campaigns with their knowledge and experience.
We've produced guidelines to explain how Contact supports campaign groups and parent carer forums, and to help parent carer forums find ways to work with local campaign groups
Find out more in our co-production and campaigning guidelines.
Templates for forums
Forums developing policies might find it it helpful to adapt these templates.
Other policies and procedures
- Parent representative feedback form [.doc]
- Code of conduct [PDF]
- Equality and diversity policy [.doc]
- Safeguarding policy [.doc]
- Data protection policy [.doc]
Further information on the Grant Application and Monitoring process can be found on the ' Parent carer participation grant and monitoring' page.
- 2018/19 Excel spreadsheet to record grant spend can be used to record spend through the financial year. This will also assist with the grant monitoring process.
Examples of forum policies