Setting up and running a forum
Parent Carer Participation Handbook
The parent carer participation handbook [PDF] is useful for anyone involved in running a forum.
NB. If reading in Adobe interactive mode, press Esc key to get Menu bar to download document or print pages.
If the interactive features are not working, make
sure you have opened the document in Adobe.
The handbook includes information on all aspects of running a forum including:
- getting started, policies, governance
- finances including paying parents
- working as a team, managing conflict
- reaching and consulting with parents
- working with local authorities & health to improve services.
Templates for forums
Forums developing policies might find it it helpful to adapt these templates.
Other policies and procedures
- Parent representative feedback form [.doc]
- Code of conduct [PDF]
- Equality and diversity policy [.doc]
- Safeguarding policy [.doc]
- Data protection policy [.doc]
- Financial control policy [.docx] - how the forum authorises and records financial transactions.
- Financial expenses & reimbursement policy [.docx] - process for paying parents expenses and remuneration.
- Expenses/remuneration claim form [.docx] - example of an expense claim form.
- Spreadsheet to record spend [.xlsx] can be used to record spend through the financial year. This will also assist with the grant monitoring process.
Examples of forum policies
Learning on YouTube
Summary versions of training sessions held across the country are available on YouTube. Some of the sessions also have supporting documentation.
- Videos on law and disabled children - Barrister Steve Broach gives the legal context on school transport, school funding, short breaks, personal budgets and direct payments, recent health developments, welfare reform, housing benefit and council tax benefit, the children and families bill for parent forums.
- The law and parent carer forums - how parent carer forums can use the law. This law and forums handout [.docx] gives further information.