Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans & assessments (England only)

The information on this page is for families in England only. I live in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales.

Some children or young people with more complex educational needs receive support through an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

Getting an EHC plan

On the following pages, we explain what support an EHC plan provides and the process of getting a plan if your child needs one:

What is an EHC plan?

EHC needs assessments - the first step to getting an EHC plan

Getting an EHC draft plan - this happens only if the local authority decides to issue your child a plan

When your child has an EHC plan

If your child has an EHC plan, you might want to know about the following:

Annual reviews - your child's EHC plan will be reviewed once a year

Change in circumstances - when an EHC plan might change or cease

Putting things right

If your child has an EHC plan but you don't think they're getting the support they need, see our information on complaining to the local authority.

See our page Tribunal appeals for when you can appeal a local authority decision, for example if the local authority has refused to assess your child or amend an existing EHC plan.

Information for families in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales

If you live in Wales, read our information about the statementing process.

Find out about the system of support for children with special educational needs in Northern Ireland on the NI Education Authority website or Senac (special educational needs advice centre).

In Scotland, the system of support for children with additional support needs is called additional support for learning. You can read more about it on the Enquire website.

Call our helpline

Any questions about support at school? How to get an EHC plan? What kind of school is best for my child? Call our freephone helpline on 0808 808 3555 and talk to one of our education advisers.


< Back to Education & learning